1886

Coca-Cola originates in Atlanta, Georgia when pharmacist Dr. John Styth Pemberton first produces the syrup in a three-legged brass pot in his backyard.

 

 

 

 

1905

Mr. Lindsey owns the State issued Coca-Cola bottling company, “Lufkin Bottling Works”.  Four years later the first Coca-Cola bottle sold in Lufkin.  A total of 8,888 cases were sold that year.

 

 

 

 

1911

Mr. W.D. Newsom buys the plant from Mr. Lindsey.  He employs one man and 21,000 cases are sold.

 

 

 

 

 

1926

Mr. Newsom builds the building on Angelina and Dozier Avenue (now Frank Avenue).

 

 

 

 

 

1960

Mr. Newsom buys Dr Pepper franchise rights in Angelina County.  Two years later, he will buy the rights for Polk and Trinity counties as well.

 

 

 

 

 

1972

Lufkin Coca-Cola surpasses 1 million cases distributed per year.

 

 

 

 

 

1978

Lufkin Coca-Cola moves into it’s current location at 804 Webber Street.

 

 

 

 

 

1979

Lufkin Coca-Cola partners with other regional soft drink bottlers to form Southwest Canners Bottling Company.  SWC currently produces and distributes 22 million cases per year.

 

 

 

 

 

1996

The ‘Looking Back’ mural is painted in downtown Lufkin to commemorate the Lufkin Coca-Cola franchise.  One of the young girls standing on the back of the truck is Irma N. Franklin, grandmother to LCC’s current president, Lynne Haney.